Student voice in criteria

Featured image via class Instagram

I just wanted to share a few things with you. 

The idea behind the unit; how the criteria points were formed and how the data and feedback from peers were collected.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Firstly, you can find the document electronically given to students HERE.

Secondly, the students and I came up with the presentation criteria.

I did this by getting the students in randomised groups and given them a blank criteria sheet enlarged to A3. All that was on the sheet was the title and the different columns for 1-5 stars. The students then worked together in their groups to form the criteria that they thought would be appropriate for the different levels 1 through 5.

As a class, we then reconvened to share and decide which criteria would fit with our class, assignment, and expectations from me. I added in a few of my own that went along with the students.

Allowing students to have a voice in the criteria AND their presentation style makes them feel like they are appreciated and that their voice is heard in your classroom. They may feel that a higher mark is more attainable as they had a say in what that would look like.
You will find the students are very honest with what a 2 compared to a 5 looks like, and also where they sit while doing a self-evaluation.

Thirdly, it was time for the students to present their work.

I created a table using numbers (MAC) as seen above to record all student data. The presenter, peers and I evaluated the students using the criteria we formed together and gave them or self some feedback for improvement.

Using numbers allowed me to use a star method that matched our criteria as well as attach comments to the matchingmarks given by the evaluator.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.