Mathematics Curriculum Studies Reading Reflection #2

1.   Why is it important for a mathematics teacher to use a diversity of approaches in the classroom?

As we all know students do not all learn in the same way, some may learn in similar ways but not two students will learn in exactly in the same manner. This is where differentiation comes in. If we ask ourselves is it fair that some students grasp a concept well because we have taught it to their strength while other students’ eyes are floating around the room because they have no idea what you as the teacher are saying.

“This writer believes that good-quality teaching of numeracy involves a very skilful blend of explicit teaching, student-centred activity, enquiry, discovery, discussion, relevant practice and meaningful application”.
P. Westwood, 2000

Through my teaching experiences I use a variety of teaching approaches sometimes multiple ways in one lesson. An example is on my recent placement with a reception/foundation class in one lesson I used the direct teaching / instruction method along with peer teaching, use of technology (Integrative Whiteboard [IWB] and the use of Manipulatives (students and cards) when teaching ordinal numbers. My reasoning behind this was to try and reach as many students as possible and to engage and have fun with this topic.

2.   How important is the learning environment for teaching mathematics?

The writers of Teaching Mathematics; Booker B, Bond B, Sparrow L & Swan P; state that the learning environment needs to be considered every bit as carefully as the content to which you are teaching (2004). The learning environment plays a key role in mathematics (Booker B, Bond B, Sparrow L & Swan P, 2004) as it does in all subject areas. The atmosphere also plays an important role in the learning environment alongside the physical constraints and classroom setup.

Booker B, Bond B, Sparrow L & Swan P  include a statement from The principles and standards for school Mathematics (2000, P.18) :

‘Teachers establish and nurture an environment conductive to learning          mathematics through the decisions they make … the conversation they orchestrate … the physical setting … the classroom environment communicates subtle messages about what is valued in learning and doing mathematics”

3.   Discuss the benefits of using story books in mathematics classes.

Throughout my teaching degree, one thing I have been constantly told, is to INTEGRATE!, and for good reasons. So why does the thought of using literature/stories seem like a weird concept in relation to mathematics? I’m not sure but personally I love the idea. Similarly to the use of technology, the literature needs to be used correctly and to enhance the students’ learning. “Not every book will be appropriate for enhancing a mathematics lesson, and literature should not be manipulated to suit the purposes of the lesson” (Ruth R Price, date unknown). Using it for the sake of using it is a waste of time for you and your students’. Draper (2002) referred to mathematics and literacy as “inseparable” in constructivist classroom settings (Elsa C. Ruiz, Date unknown). I  believe that literature, if used correctly, can greatly enhance your students’ engagement and understanding.

——————————————————————

REFERENCES

• Booker B, Bond B, Sparrow L & Swan P. Teaching Primary Mathematics School of Education, Flinders University 2013, Mathematics Curriculum course reader, EDUC 2422, Semester 2, Flinders University, Adelaide.
  • Ruth R. Price , Using Children’s Literature to Teach Mathematics, <https://s3.amazonaws.com/quantile-resources/resources/downloads/static/ChildrensLiterature.pdf> Viewed 8 Sep 13
  • Westwood, P. Numeracy and Learning Difficulties: Approaches to teaching and assessment. 2000, ACER Press (Chapter 3 from topic reader)
  • Elsa C. Ruiz, Jenifer Salter Thornton, Kimberley K. Cuero. Integrating Literature in Mathematics: A Teaching Technique for Mathematics Teachers. University of Texas at San Antonio <http://www.esev.ipv.pt/mat1ciclo/DISCUSS%C3%95ES/Integrating%20Literature.pdf> Viewed 09/09/13