#LikeAGirl & Be a Man!

I’ll set the scene for you.
This happened this afternoon.

Students were reading, when I realised a student had forgotten his music lesson so I went outside and told him.
He got up from his chair when I then said “you better hurry”.
One of his mates then said “run like a girl”

So the discussion began. What does a girl look like when she runs I asked. The boys explained and then continued to stand and demonstrate it for me.

As I am sure you would imagine alarm bells began to go off in my head. Why do they think all girls run ‘that way’ what have they experienced which lead them to this conclusion

So I asked the question, what about all of the women who have won championships for running, what do they run like?
The response I received … Like boys.

I have never been the sporty girl or the one who runs but that does not mean I run ‘like that’.

…..

This got me thinking about this clip that I saw and I asked myself again, why is ‘like a girl’ a bad thing, why is it an insult?
Which made me also think ‘be a man’ and what it means to ‘be masculine’

We, and by we I mean society, seem to be ’rounding up’ our kids so they feel like they need to fit into a box; and a very small one at that!

Girls you must like pink, you must like to cook, wear pretty clothes and wear makeup too look pretty; if not,
you’re not a ‘real girl’

Boys you must like sports and be good at them, you mustn’t show your feeling. If you are smart, enjoy reading
and like the arts; you’re not a real man.

Our children are having this drilled into their heads from all around them, music being a high contributor I believe. it is something that they listen to and/or watch daily.

I do my best as an educator to allow students to express themselves and to be themselves, what ever that is. Unfortunately we have no control over the main influences.
That does not mean that I give up. Never!!

I am looking forward to delving into these topics with my students. Very interested to see what their responses will be.

Watch this clip below of #likeagirl
I have also added the preview to The Mask You Live In (About our boys)
I saw ‘The Mask You Live In’ the other night as part of my professional development. Eye opening and confronting; nothing but the truth.